27.8.14

Success Story from the Wolfville C@P Lab #4!

Today I had a wonderful elderly lady come in for a One-On-One Tutorial. She had been in before a few years back to get help with her digital camera but had not been in to the C@P Lab since. In our lesson, we went over some problems she had with iTunes and with the audio books she downloads and listens to on her iPod. I was so impressed with her level of organization (an alphabetized binder of instructions for multiple devices and programs) and her latent skills with operating both her laptops (a large Toshiba and a small Acer). She however, condemned herself for being, "Not very technology oriented." I was amazed, thinking that I barely had to help this woman - who was more than capable of figuring things out on her own given some basic instruction - but she was more than impressed to get some helpful guidance. She asked for some paper and wrote a little thank you note that she asked to be passed on here:

"I just wanted to put on record how helpful I found this tutorial. I am very technology-challenged and the instructor (Rachel) explained things in a way I could understand. Thank you!"

It meant a lot to me for her to insist that she sign and date a scrap piece of paper to authenticate it as an achievement of mine. She was one of the nicest patrons I have met and had the pleasure of having a tutorial with. She stayed for the rest of the hour and chatted with me about all sorts of things, and before she left she made a rather generous donation to the C@P Lab as well, which we told her was greatly appreciated!
Experiences like these are the most enjoyable part of my work here as a C@P Youth Intern - when the public is so gracious and thankful for the presence of the C@P Lab and the volunteers and employees that keep it running. Every patron that comes in and says "Thanks for your help," lights up my day and really validates my work here. So a big thank you to the lady from today and to every one of you friendly patrons that uses the C@P Lab - you rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment