26.8.14

Port Williams Success Story #3

In Port Williams, I recently held a Geocaching workshop to teach the basics of using a GPS device and map reading. Since there were no nearby geocaches, the day before the lab I explored the area surrounding the Port Williams library and found some landmarks that I could use to hide my own clues. I found 10 possible hiding spots then recorded their coordinates.

With the coordinates in hand, I printed off pieces of paper with a fill-in-the-blank hint and a co-ordinate, with each hint and coordinate leading to the next. At the final coordinate I hid a ‘treasure chest’ (read: Tupperware container). At the end of each piece of paper I also included one letter, which when all ten clues were properly arranged would spell “puzzle whiz”.

Thankfully we had a beautiful warm day for the Geocaching lab, and together our group spent about 2 hours adventuring around to find the clues. When we finally found the treasure chest, it was empty. I pretended to be surprised, and we took it back to the library with all of the clues. When we got back to the library and the clues were all properly arranged, I noticed a “secret button” while in the back room with the treasure chest and the container was suddenly filled with candy.

I had a great time coming up with the clues and finding hiding spots. It was very fulfilling to see the joy and excitement of the group as we found clues and solved the final puzzle. The candy probably helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment