1.8.14

Another Windsor Success Story

Hi Everyone,

Recently at the Windsor library I had a patron come in with her laptop and e-reader. Before the session she explained quite clearly that she could not be taught how to use computers. I took this as an opportunity to prove her wrong. We started off in the e-readers where she slowly began to learn. Her family had already downloaded e-books for her, but hadn't been overly supportive of her pace of learning. Instead of teaching, they took the reins and did everything for her. Letting her use the device, and keeping her pace really helped her along (despite trying to pass me to me at times). I acted as a guide, and a helping hand.

We slowly began to learn the e-reader. We started with flipping pages, then chapters, choosing pages, searching for words. She quickly found out it wasn't as hard as she once thought.

Then we moved onto the desktop, where we checked our mail, went browsing on the internet, and set-up overdrive. I could tell she was quite surprised how much she could accomplish.

By the end of the session she exclaimed that she actually learned something; a success in my books. She then proceeded to tell our librarian that she had actually learned something about computers. In the end, I was happy I had the opportunity to prove her wrong. It's nice to see my skills can help someone gain confidence in their own abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment